- At the current time, only a minority of Ontarians with osteoporosis are diagnosed before they arrive with a fracture at an acute care hospital (Ontario Women’s Health Council, 2003).
- Without bone mineral density (BMD) testing, 80% of patients with a history of fractures are not treated for osteoporosis (OWHC, 2003).
- A number of barriers prevent health care professionals from fully implementing existing clinical guidelines that are available to help diagnose and manage osteoporosis.
For persons with osteoporosis, effective diagnosis and management is essential. We can improve early diagnosis by ensuring the appropriate use and accuracy of bone mineral density (BMD) testing—the gold standard for diagnosing osteoporosis and osteopoenia. This Strategy aims to ensure that all Ontarians with or at high risk of osteoporosis have appropriate, equitable and timely access to BMD testing.
- Radiologists & Technologists.
- Physicians and health professionals